Following the completion of the arena renovations, the City of Saint-Lambert turned its attention to the redevelopment of Lespérance Park, which had been eagerly anticipated by those who use it. In February 2016, an ad hoc committee, made up of users from different areas of activity, was created, with the goal of helping the municipality better identify the needs of users and make sure they are addressed.
Basing itself on the advisory committee’s report, the City began planning the redevelopment of the park and hired the firm AECOM. On May 1, 2017, the firm made a presentation to the committee, which was satisfied with this inclusive compromise, and the project was adopted by municipal council at its August 21, 2017 meeting. Now it’s your turn to discover your future Lespérance Park!
The park accommodates a wide range of sports, recreation, leisure and community uses, which attract a large volume of users, a diverse clientele and a variety of visitors. The development plan took into consideration the needs of the various stakeholders and sought to optimize the park’s functionalities.
Moreover, a particular effort was made to respond to the demands for quality of service and security, harmoniously integrate the park into the surrounding urban environment and preserve the quality of life for the neighbourhood’s residents.
This development plan is the fruit of the work of the firm AECOM, which was able to validate and integrate all of the advisory committee’s recommendations on the redesign and improvement of Lespérance Park, with the goal of creating a project that would rally the community as much as possible.
Accordingly, the development plan envisions, among other things, the following elements:
- Expansion of the community gardens through the addition of nearly 50 plots and the installation of a few raised plots
- Development of a dog park, whose location close to the lawn bowling club will ensure the tranquility of nearby residents
- In addition to the complete redevelopment of the parking lot, the integration of a small parking lot close to the curling club to respond to demand
- Development of six micro-soccer fields
- Development of an inviting and nicely integrated court between the arena and the curling club
- Upgrading of the children’s playground and replacement of the play structures
- Complete reconstruction of the wading pool
- Improvements to foot traffic with the construction of several walkways linking the different areas.
The redevelopment of the coulée verte (green belt), which aims to enhance it while preserving its woodland charm, and the irrigation of the micro-soccer fields are part of the Lespérance Park project. However, due to financial considerations, it was necessary to withdraw these elements from the loan by-law, but they are not being called into question, and their completion is slated for 2018, along with the other facilities, subject to the approval of the municipal council.
Cost of the project
The complete project is estimated at around $2.3 million. This includes:
For more information, you can consult the loan by-law.
The by-law is subject to approval by the city’s qualified voters. A register requesting that it be subject to a public referendum will be open on September 11, 12 and 13, between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. at City Hall. Citizens who are in favour of the project are not required to sign the register.
As soon as the loan by-law is approved, the call for tenders for a contractor will be issued so that the work can be carried out next spring.
To know more
For more information on the project, you can get in touch with the Engineering Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 450 466-3094.